Saturday, April 23, 2011

the crazy good, sometimes unsure life....

This is my first ever blog.... so here it goes  =)

There is so much going on in our life right now. And I have found that my emotions are more on edge than they have ever been. Things that never used to matter to me seem to bring on a wave of emotion. It has made for some fun times around the Aldred house for sure. 

As a military wife I have learned to just "go with the flow", and know that God is in control of ALL that we are going through. I also know that he will provide all the strength and guidance that is needed for the sometimes bumpy and unsure path that this life calls us to as military families. We are so new to the "real" military life. Let me explain what I mean by "real", my soldier was National Guard for 2 years while he was in school, so his promise to them was one weekend a month and sometimes another day or two thrown in there. So it came as a HUGE adjustment when his days went from that, to M-F (sometimes Saturday's) at 14+ hours a day. And then throw in a fast approaching deployment and you can see why emotions are at an all time high. Like I said bumpy and unsure path at times =) 

Being so new to the army life has had it's hardships for sure, but we are so undoubtably blessed by a wonderful support team. God really had his hand on us when we chose the location for our first duty station. We found some of the most amazing friends here at Fort Hood. Their love for God is so strong and true. It was as if they were picked just for us and placed here for us to build wonderful friendships with. And to be honest it couldn't have come at a better time. We joined a small group with these wonderful people and it has been such a blessing to us. It has really helped to see couples at all different stages within marriage and the military, and to know that we have them to turn to in times of need.

Rick and I will be going through our first deployment in about 25 days. It will be the hardest and most humbling thing we have ever had to encounter. How do you fully prepare your hearts and minds for a separation of a year? How do you control the fear you feel every moment so that you can put on a brave face for the one you love? And mostly how do you not lose yourself and your marriage in the deployment? These are just some of the questions that surfaced at a marriage retreat we went to as well as our small group. The answers to these questions won't come easily I am sure, there will be times when I shut down. Times that I thrive and find that I can be independent and survive this, and times when I will need a gallon of ice cream, a few chick flicks and my box of kleenex. But through all those times I will find what it takes to be "Okay" and to trust that we are where we are supposed to be. With preparing for this deployment, we are already experiencing these things. It is inevitable for us to go through some of these emotions, it is our hearts preparing us for the journey we are about to take on. It is a crazy, bumpy, unsure path that will strengthen our marriage more than we know. I am so proud to be a Military wife, so proud of my man and the things he does for our family! I look forward to the many years to come of my duty as Army Wife.




No comments:

Post a Comment